The challenge is to walk Wainwright's, 190 mile Coast to Coast path from St. Bees in the West to Robin Hood's Bay in the East or vice versa and be totally self-contained and unsupported with no re-supply. Wild camping, obtaining water from natural sources and carrying all food and equipment for the proposed 12 day trip. In this manner the walk becomes free or "unplugged" and is part of my larger Four Nation's coast to coast endeavour, of which details can be found at Transnationcoast2coast.com


This trip is not about the route for me , albeit it's one I have wanted to do for some time, but more about the autonomy I can obtain using the ideas I have outlined in this blog. I shall not be trying break any records but conversely trying to achieved my predicted 12 day itinerary and if possible extend this time, if my rations allow for me to do this. Hopefully my plans and preparations have been enough to achieve a successful result but now its time to put theory into practice. I have decided to go East to West and this is for two reasons, firstly I have a habit of going against the flow and have a natural draw to the west. Secondly, because of the initial weight of my sack, by the time I get to the Lakes I should be much lighter, making life easier. I would like to thank all who have helped in my preparations including Escape2 who have been most supportive. I shall be sending daily blogs via my mobile, so look out to see how I'm getting on.